Thursday, September 2, 2010

First trip to the High Museum

Before entering the High Museum, I expected that the museum would look like a regular, plain building. My expectations were wrong as I walked up the slope to enter the museum. The modern building is so interesting that you see the building as a piece of art rather than a museum. My wrong expectations caused me to enter into the Dali exhibit without any expectations at all.
                When you hear often hear of Dali, you think of The Persistence of Memory. In many of his paintings, the same symbols would appear, such as eggs, clocks, and horns. I think that the time period or his philosophy caused him to use the same symbols over and over again. One thing that I appreciated about Dali is that he is in control over what he does. Under one of his pieces it says that Dali believes that his art has other functions than just being painting.
The painting that really held my attention was Christ of Saint John of the Cross by Dali. I feel like many people, myself included, can just look at the piece and relate it back to their religious lives. There is so much that could be said about the piece of art. It’s powerful. Dali defiantly appeals to the audience by using the religious symbol of Christ on the cross.       
 Overall, my first trip the High Museum was really enjoyable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment